At the age of 43 Anthony Bourdain was still relatively unknown New York chef. Then at the age of 44 became a best-selling author, television presenter at the 46th, and finally the father at 51. It seemed that Anthony Bourdain led parallel lives, but the glory and fatherhood changed him forever.
Most of his life Bourdain was a smoker and he drank. In his memoir “Kitchen Confidential – Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly” TV star explicitly talks about drug use, including the addiction to heroin which was “picked up” in the kitchens of New York in 1970.
You can buy the book here
– it’s hard to say that I made a single decision without being high. Cannabis, methaqualone, cocaine, LSD, psilocybin mushrooms dipped in honey with which I have “sweetened” my tea, secobarbital, tuinal, amphetamines, codeine and heroin even – wrote Bourdain. He was happy that he managed to get off the heroin in 1980.In this detox journey he even lowered the alcohol consumption.
He quit smoking in 2007 when his daughter was born.
Antoni was never quiet when he needed to express his opinion about other celebrity chefs. Of course not in a good way. In his vocabulary they are all described as demigods who he despises. But when he became what he is today – “Celebrity Chef”, he realized the irony of his position. Some principles have been retained, for example, he refused to advertise goods, which made some of his colleagues extremely rich.
He spits on the vegetarians. In 1999, he wrote that they were as “Hezbollah fraction” and that vegans are “enemies of all that is good and decent in the human spirit.”
Later in 2006, trying to be politer, Anthony said that “he respects vegetarians that refuse to eat everything but vegetables in their homes, but he also respects all of them that are putting their principles aside when they travel.”
Bourdain’s wife is Italian athlete specializing in martial arts, and he was able to hook Anthony on jiu-jitsu as a form of exercise.
Now known chef gets up early every morning to practice with his wife and he is a holder of a blue belt at this martial art.
He married twice, first with a girl from a high school.
– She was the love of my life, but everything has changed – he said, referring to his constant trips that changed their lives. He thought it would be a bad father.
– I would be a shi*** parent, but I can say I’m a great uncle. The evil uncle who always let them do whatever they want. But a father? Until recently, I could not take care of myself – those were his words before he became a father at the age of 51.
Just a year after this statement Bourdain and Ottavia Busia became husband and wife, and they have a daughter – Ariane. Then Anthony made a major change in his schedule, recording TV shows, and began to spend more time with his family.
– I cannot be out of home for a long time, I get back home and I see my daughter has changed, she grew up more. I try to be a good dad, which seems strange in my situation. Nothing makes me happier than watching cartoons with my daughter – said the celebrity chef.
Chef Anthony Bourdain
Chef Anthony Bourdain
This year he also explained how is he looking at the money.
– At 44 I was standing in the kitchen; I did not know what it’s like not leaving death scared to sleep. Also was in a terrible, endless, unsolvable debt. I did not have health insurance, I didn’t pay taxes, I could not even pay the rent for the apartment. It was a nightmare, but for the past 15 years a lot has changed – he said. Sure it is. With several bestselling books and famous TV Show, he now lives comfortably for more than a decade. Two years ago he and his wife bought an apartment in New York’s Upper East Side for $ 3.3 million.
“Maybe I’m not the smartest guy in the world, but I am completely unable to re-do the same thing. So I lived for 30 years, the same old nonsense, washing dishes, working at the bar. Life is short, man, and my brain is relentless,” said the that Anthony Bourdain.
Here are some of his achievements
Primetime Emmy Award Winner in 2015,2014 and 2013 and Nominee for this year 2016’s Outstanding Cinematography for Nonfiction programing
Producer of the Year Award in Non-Fiction Television – Winner in 2013, his show was nominated in 2016, 2014, 2012 and 2011.
Daytime Emmy Award – nominated in 2015, won in 2014 for The mind of a chef for Outstanding Culinary Program.
The mind of a Chef also is nominated for this Year’s James Bread Award. Also was a winner three times in a rows since 2012 until 2015… I personally don’t expect changes this year